Para-badminton Bethell bids to build on Tokyo silver

England's Bethell has high hopes for success after historic Games debut

Bethell aiming to add to her historic Para-badminton medal collection

Para-badminton star Rachel Bethell is bidding to build on her historic silver medal at the Tokyo Paralympics, with a string of major tournaments on the horizon.

The 25-year-old, from Stoke-on-Trent, became the first British woman to win a medal in the sport when she finished second in the women's singles WH2 event in the Japanese capital.

Now Bethell is setting her sights on more success, starting with the Spanish Para-Badminton International in March.

The tournament will be Bethell's first competitive outing since Tokyo, and she is hoping to use it as a springboard for a successful year.

"I'm really excited to get back to competing," said Bethell.

"Tokyo was an amazing experience, and I'm determined to build on the success I had there.

"I've been working hard in training, and I'm confident that I can challenge for medals at the upcoming tournaments."

Bethell's next major target is the World Para-Badminton Championships, which will be held in Tokyo in November.

The tournament will be a key test for Bethell, as she looks to secure her place at the Paris 2024 Paralympics.

"The World Championships are going to be a huge event," said Bethell.

"I'm going to have to be at my best to compete with the world's best players.

"But I'm confident that I can do it, and I'm determined to come away with a medal."

Bethell is one of a number of British Para-badminton players who are hoping to make a mark on the international stage in the coming years.

The sport has grown in popularity in recent years, and Bethell is hoping to inspire more people to take up the game.

"Para-badminton is a great sport," said Bethell.

"It's inclusive, it's challenging, and it's a lot of fun.

"I would encourage anyone, regardless of their ability, to give it a try."


Post a Comment